Brent Ceryes is a partner at BMBF and has experience in environmental law personal injury, sexual abuse and misconduct, and healthcare litigation. He served as counsel in the $123 million class action settlement in the Earl Bradley pedophile pediatrician case and in the $190 million class action settlement with The Johns Hopkins Hospital arising out of the conduct of Nikita Levy, M.D., an obstetrician-gynecologist who surreptitiously videotaped his patients during gynecologic examinations. He also has first and second chair jury trial experience representing plaintiffs in medical malpractice actions.
Mr. Ceryes formed a consortium of attorneys and law firms for the litigation against opioid manufacturers and distributors, representing more than 40 cities and counties. He also serves as counsel in the litigation against e-cigarette manufacturer JUUL on behalf of more than three dozen school boards located across the country.
In recent years, Mr. Ceryes and his colleagues have focused on environmental cases involving contaminated groundwater and air pollution. Mr. Ceryes recently served as class counsel in a landmark environmental case against chicken processing giant Mountaire. For close to two decades, the company had violated its permits by disposing of wastewater containing excessive nitrates, causing health problems and property damage for the community of Millsboro, Delaware. Mr. Ceryes was a key member of the team which achieved a settlement in November 2020, valued at $205 million.
Mr. Ceryes received his undergraduate degree in mathematics and economics in 2008 from the University of Maryland, College Park, and his Juris Doctor in 2011, from the University of Maryland School of Law. Mr. Ceryes is active in his community, volunteering and serving on the board of numerous local organizations. He resides in Overlea, Baltimore City, with his wife and daughter.
- University Of Maryland, College Park
- University Of Maryland School Of Law
Appointments And Awards
- Serving On Law360’s 2022 Personal Injury And Medical Malpractice Editorial Board
- Law360 Rising Stars “best Attorneys Under 40” 2022
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer 2022
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 – 2020, 2021
- Superlawyers Rising Star – 2021
- The Daily Record Vip List 2021 – Successful By 40
- Member Of The Delaware Department Of Justice Environmental Counsel Panel – 2021
- Lawdragon Green 500: Leaders In Law 2023
- 2023 Lawdragon 500: Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers
- Court Of Appeals, Court Of Special Appeals; Circuit Courts And District Courts – All Jurisdictions In Maryland
- United States District Court For The District Of Maryland
- Superior Court For The District Of Columbia
- Pro Hac In A Variety Of Other Jurisdictions
- Maryland State Bar Association