John is widely recognized for his ability to secure approval for difficult or controversial projects. In addition to his vast experience in regulatory and transactional work, John has also won a long list of significant cases vindicating the rights of private property owners, including the invalidation of confiscatory zoning regulations, reversal of permit denials for various land use projects and uses, and the successful defense of legal challenges to various commercial projects.
Among John’s clients are Equity Lifestyle Properties, Dogfish Head, Lighthouse Construction, the Hudson Family, Wal-Mart, and Royal Farms. In addition to his land use and regulatory practice, John also represents numerous local business interests, including landlords, homebuilders, and contractors. He is a graduate of the University of Virginia where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Foreign Affairs. He earned his Juris Doctor and Masters in Business Administration from the University of Richmond. He is the former Chairman of the Board of Directors of Bayhealth Medical Center, a Trustee of the University of Delaware, and a Member of the Greater Kent Committee.
- University Of Virginia, Ba, 1985
- University Of Richmond, Jd/mba, 1989
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Top Lawyer In Delaware Today For Land Use In 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, And 2020
- Top Lawyer In Delaware Today For Business Law In 2017, 2020, And 2021
- Best Lawyers For Land Use And Zoning Law
- Recognized By Super Lawyers Chambers USA
- Best Lawyers ® 2024
- A Trustee Of The University Of Delaware
- A Member Of The Kent Sussex Leadership Alliance
- Delaware State Bar,1989
- U.s. District Court (Delaware), 1990
- United States Supreme Court, 1997