If you need to take legal action, in either defense or prosecution, it is important to make sure that you find the right person for the job. Legal jargon can be confusing, and the sheer size of the judicial system — especially regarding the spectrum of fields of law and areas of practice — makes this a struggle for the average person. Here’s a breakdown of five of the most common types of lawyers that you might need on your side:
- Personal Injury Lawyer: If you suffered any physical or psychological damage at the hand of someone or something, either intentionally or unintentionally, a personal injury lawyer would be your best bet to ensure that you get compensation. This is one of the most well-known types of lawyers as it covers a wide array of cases; car accidents, medical malpractice, assault/battery, even slander and libel. Auto accident lawyers are a subset of this type and are commonly advertised on TV. In fact, 52% of personal injury cases are related to car accidents.
- Estate Law/Estate Planning Lawyer: Not to be confused with a real estate lawyer, these attorneys deal specifically with writing and reading wills, trusts, and determining and maximizing the value of a person’s assets, or property. They also have the ability to establish power of attorney. Remarkably, 55% to 70% of Americans don’t even have a basic will. Take this as your sign to make one as soon as possible!
- Civil Rights Lawyer: These attorneys deal with the violation of human rights and the rights of citizens, whether that refers to discrimination, voting rights, or constitutional rights (such as the right to free speech).
- Family Lawyer: Family lawyers address a range of legal issues within the family unit, from divorce proceedings and child custody all the way to the legalities of adoption. They can also become involved when child support is not being paid.
- Real Estate Lawyer/Property Lawyer: Real estate lawyers can either deal with the legal aspects of acquiring or selling a home, or with litigation regarding foreclosure or renter/landlord disputes. With so many people trying to expand their families and settle in the U.S., it’s no wonder there are around 603,310 real estate lawyers here!
Hopefully, these bite-sized pieces of information will help you out if you ever need legal representation. From auto accident lawyers to divorce lawyers, there is someone out there with the knowledge and skill to represent you.